It is the purpose of this policy to provide standard requirements and procedures for selecting the SCYS Youth Female and Male Referees of the Year for the previous calendar year.
To be eligible for nomination and selection as the SCYS Young Female or Male Referee of the Year, an individual must:
(1) be eligible to play in SCYS during the full calendar year for which he/she is nominated;
(2) be currently registered as a referee with the USSF;
(3) have been currently registered within South Carolina for at least one year;
(4) reside in the State of South Carolina; and
(5) possess personal qualities reflecting accomplishments as a referee, a student, and a member of the community.
III. NOMINATING PROCEDURES
(1) Anyone may nominate an individual to be the SCYS Young Female or Male Referee of the Year.
(2) A nomination must be submitted on a copy of the standard SCYS Nomination Form. Copies of the Form are available from the SCYS State Office or click here.
(3) There should be attached to each Nomination Form sufficient documentation and solicitations attesting to the accomplishments of the individual being nominated as a referee, student, and contributing member of the community. These materials should be as specific as possible in citing accomplishments and personal attributes. Form-type letters will not be considered.
(4) The SCYS Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring that an appropriate announcement soliciting nominations is included in the SCYSNEWS and/or Administrative Manual each year. The SYRA shall also coordinate with the SRA so that information about the SCYS Young Referee of the Year Program is included as part of any referee development program and local referee training programs administered by referee instructors.
(5) A completed Nomination Form for an individual, with supporting documentation and solicitations, must be received in hand (not postmarked) at the SCYS State Office by the January date published each year in the official SCYS Calendar to be considered. An individual whose Nomination Form is received after that date will not be considered.
IV. SELECTION PROCEDURE
The SCYS Board of Directors will select the Young Female Referee of the Year and the Young Male Referee of the Year at the Board meeting immediately following the January deadline for nominations.
V. NOTIFICATION, PRESENTATIONS, AND AWARDS
(1) The SCYS President will notify the individuals selected as the Young Referees of the Year of their selection. On notification, the SYRA is responsible for contacting those individuals to make arrangements for their attendance, and their parents or guardians, at the SCYS Workshop where their awards will be presented.
(2) The SCYS Secretary will contact all nominees not selected and those making the nominations and inform them of the results.
(3) SCYS is responsible for obtaining plaques and gifts to present to each Young Referee of the Year.
(4) The names of the SCYS Young Referees of the Year will be submitted to Region III of USYS for consideration and selection as Region III Young Referees of the Year.